.
4th Royal Eltham

 

About our Scout Group

We are a small group in the Royal Greenwich district of Greater London South, situated on the Coldharbour Estate of New Eltham. We enjoy a very active Programme thanks to the help and support of our leaders and helpers.

During school term, we meet on Monday nights at;
6.30 - 8.00 PM for Cubs

(aged 8 to 10)

and from 8.00PM for Scouts

(aged 10 to 16) 

Revised Potted History of the 4th Royal Eltham - May 2009

Following the reunion of former members the history of the 4th RE is a little clearer however, records remain unclear as to exactly when the group was formed.

The 4th strangely enough may have been the first scout troop in Eltham. It was formed by persons unknown about 18 months after BP had the notion to take a bunch of boys camping and teach them the skills of an army scout. They met in a community hall not far from the Gordon school in Eltham and took the name Gordon Rangers (after the great General). At that time the South London Scout Association was drawn up in Parliamentary Boundaries and the meeting place was deemed to be in Greenwich and was identified as the 12th Greenwich. BP, recognising that he had started something, brought into being the Scout Association .  However, as the Scout Association developed new boundaries were drawn up in 1911 and in 1912 the group was reclassified as the 4th Royal Eltham (Gordon Rangers).
The group grew with the addition of a Cub Pack until 1939 when the group was suspended because of the war. Hitler claimed the meeting place and probably most of the boys. It was not until 1954 that George King (a local policeman) and John Efferden (Effy) got together with some friends to reform the group at Ruxley Manor School. For a few years the 17th met at St Albans Church but amalgamated with the 4th in 1959. The group remained at Ruxley Manor (the Troop met at St Albans Church for a few years in the 70’s, leaving the Cubs at the school.) until 19th July 2001 when local politicians thought it would be a good idea to close the school. 
So now reverting to our nomadic past we  moved once more, this time to the Community Centre in  William Barefoot Drive. We  made the most of the move but look forward to the day when we can return to a refurbished Ruxley Manor. (Now Montbelle).